Style: Zebra prints


It has been a busy summer with family gatherings and a few weddings - one in California, which is why we took that family road trip back in July.

.... I used to be more obsessed with dresses and shoes and clothes. One day, I went to Banana Republic and found a dress marked down for $15.00.

I left the store with that dress and a small Banana Republic paper bag, plus a $15 dollar something receipt. But when I saw myself in front of the store mirror - I remember that little moment as if it was today - I saw something else; a reality. I was there, seeing myself with that black, long, sexy, simple, backless dress.

It was one Autumn day of 2015. Yes, it wasn't yesterday, it was two years ago. That mirror and that dress made me realize that most of the clothes I had in my closet were waiting for something- just like I was.

I went home that day, and again, I saved that black dress for a little occasion. Or perhaps something more - not just an occasion. But I promised myself to stop waiting.

That dress went next to all the other ones that still had tags.

There was a peach one from Nordstrom Rack. A beige one I once bought in 2012, or 2011? Still in the Macy's bag. Long, elegant.

The white one with a mini skirt underneath.

The black one with red polka dots. The lilac one, to my knees, 50's style. Oh, how much I love that style!

There is also the navy one. The black one with flowers.

And the yellow one from 2010 that I no longer have.

There were also the shoes. The shoes for each dress - in their boxes as if they had no life, just hope.

Just as I was doing with my soul, I also did with my closet; a little clean-up. It was time to take a lot out and maybe make others happy.

That day I did what I thought I would never do - give away a lot of my shoes and some dresses.
I called one of my friends and asked her to come pick the ones she wanted. The rest were donated.

My soul felt so much lighter after I went back to my closet. I still had a lot of dresses and shoes waiting to maybe have some stories, one day. But they had to wait. For a long time.

I became more interested in hiking and didn't know if I ever was going to make it back to that part of myself. I was spending more time outdoors and in meditation. At some point I wanted nothing to do with those dresses.

Until I started coming into complete balance, not long ago. But now is more of 'this is who I am' and not necessarily 'I want to look good.'

The first time I took out a pair of jean high heels and I wore them, a part of me re-connected with the other parts - it was amazing.

Perhaps, one day, I will wear that black dress - I don't know. But if I don't, it will be all right. I think I will save it as a reminder of a lot of things. As a reminder of that autumn day in 2015. As a reminder of 2015.

A reminder of so much.

There is a lot of story in a dress, after all. Even if it hasn't been written, or worn.

Maybe a little bit about this one?...

.... there was a wedding at the end of September. And the one dress that finally got its tags removed since 2013 was the zebra one. Along with the shoes that my daughter Lucián kept taking out of the box to play with. Sometimes outside, making mommy a little anxious, only to remind myself that she is a bit like her mom. I suppose they also have a bit of a dirty story already, the shoes.





Paty

.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stubbornness, Strength, & Grace.

One year in Therapy- a little milestone.