What is success, anyway?

I don’t know if I necessarily have my own definition of success. 

I also don’t know if it matters, really.

I know I have tried to live by my own rules.

Be my own person.

Write my own story.

Leave unhealthy places, against all odds.

Make difficult decisions.

Take my own time.

Know in my heart that some things just aren’t right, no matter what.

Keep pushing during my worst. Even if it doesn’t seem like it.

Finding and saving myself. I don’t know if I need more than this.

Going to therapy. And keep pushing when things get tough.

Trying to raise my kids with a little more awareness and compassion.

Do my best at understanding them. Understand that they are their own person and version. And that they are not perfect.

Overcoming my own prejudice- or at least trying to.

Doing a small part in leaving this broken world a little better. 

Accepting what is- what I can’t change. But NOT accepting what is not meant to be accepted. 

Re-learning love. What is and what isn’t. 

Learning. Growing. Accepting. Being curious about how I feel and doing my best to figure out why.

Sometimes finding the courage and strength to say no. Other times the courage to say yes.

Being able to express myself, as genuinely as possible.

Or truthfully.

Putting accountability where it is needed.

Being accountable myself.

Standing up to my demons.

Standing up to my own self.

Standing up to others.

Accepting my own mental health. But still trying to get better. 

And doing my best to speak up against its stigma.

These are some of the things that are meaningful to me. And in a way, they are my own success. 

Viola Davis said that the final step is not success. It is significance. Transcendence.

Living on our own terms.




"Success is not about meeting someone else's expectations.  It's about living up to yours." 

Paty ♥

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stubbornness, Strength, & Grace.

One year in Therapy- a little milestone.